Ready in: 1 hour 10 minutes
- 3 red onions, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or finely chopped
- 1 x 10 cm piece of fresh ginger, grated
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 2 teaspoons chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander ( pestle & mortar )
- 1 kg ground beef – minced
- 1 x 410 g can whole peeled tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- a handful fresh coriander – finely chopped
- 200g dried apricots, chopped
- 100g cashews or slivered almonds
- 1 slice thick brown bread, cubed ( optional )
- 2 tablespoons chutney
- salt & pepper – to taste
- spring roll wrappers
- INGREDIENTS FOR APRICOT, MINT-CHILLI DIPPING SAUCE
- 500g fresh apricots, stoned
- 2 cups sugar ( 500 ml )
- a squeeze of lemon juice
- 200ml apricot juice ( Ceres etc )
- 1 bunch fresh mint leaves – finely chopped
- ½ cup of coriander – finely chopped
- 100 ml sweet chilli dipping sauce
- 1 teaspoon Kikkoman soya sauce
- Preheat the oven to 180º C. In a large pan, heat oil and gently fry the onion until golden brown, followed by the ginger, garlic & spices.
- Add the minced beef and brown. Add the chopped tomatoes and caramelize by reducing some of the liquid for approx. 10 minutes.
- Add the apricots, cubed bread pieces ( optional ), and the chutney, and cook for 3 minutes
- Add a little chicken or meat stock ( homemade !! ) if too thick. Lastly add the finely chopped fresh coriander – season to taste with salt and pepper.
Method for Apricot, Mint-chilli Dipping Sauce
- Place the stoned apricots in a small heavy bottomed pot, along with the sugar, apricot juice and squeeze of lemon juice – cook with the lid on until the sugar has melted and the apricots are soft. Remove the lid from the pot and reduce the apricot mixture until a soft jam-like consistency is formed – it must not be sticky.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- When the apricot mixture is cool, add the bunch of finely chopped herbs,as well as the 100 ml sweet chilli dipping sauce, along with 1 teaspoon soya sauce. Mix with a fork until all the ingredients are integrated. Roll Warthog Bobotie mixture into springroll wrappers, deep fry until golden brown, remove from fryer and place on a double layer of roller towel ( kitchen paper ) on a baking tray – place in a medium oven (160º C 170º C) for 5 minutes, to drain and for springrolls to crisp up nicely.
- Serve 3 springrolls ( with yellow rice and raisins – optional ), on a rectangular plate, along with the apricot, mint- chilli dipping sauce, garnished with a sprig of mint /and/or coriander.